Monitoring of 16 media outlets, March – November 2017
In continuity, NGO Info-Centre monitors and analyses media contents and reports on the issue of “de-Sorosoization”, i.e. the perpetual persecution and attacks on civil society organizations, the Foundation Open Society – Macedonia (FOSM), George Soros, USAID, US Ambassador to the Republic of Macedonia, Jess Baily, and others.
This report covers the period March-November 2017, while the media monitoring targeted central news programmes aired by television outlets: TV 24, TV Telma, TV Sitel, MRT1, TV Alsat-M, TV Kanal 5, TV Alfa and TV 21; daily newspapers: Sloboden pecat, Vecer and Dnevnik (their websites, i.e. electronic editions) and news portals: A1on, Plusinfo, Republika, Kurir and NovaTV.
- As many as 76% of all contents, i.e. an average of 7 news article per day, were published in the first 4 months of this monitoring, i.e. in the period March – June 2017.
- Intensity of news articles and reports has dramatically decreased to an average of 2 articles per day after formation of the government led by SDSM, but the persecution continued.
- Media outlets close to VMRO-DPMNE published 80% of the total number of news articles, i.e. in average they published 3 articles per day, whereas in the first 4 months of this monitoring the average sometimes peaked at 6 articles per day.
- Among them, highest shares of news articles were published by: Republika (23%), Kurir (21%), Vecer (12%) and Dnevnik (9 %).
- Among the critically-oriented media, highest shares of news articles were published by: A1on (6.5%), Plusinfo (4%), NovaTV (3%) and Sloboden pecat (3%).
- Media outlets close to VMRO-DPMNE, together with this political party and the initiative SOS [Stop Operation Soros], were engaged in fierce “tarnish” campaign against George Soros, the Foundation Open Society – Macedonia, CSOs, civil activists, USAID, US Ambassador to Macedonia Jess Baily, etc.
- According to these media, George Soros, his foundation and civil society organizations are the biggest enemies to Macedonia.
- Most news articles published by media outlets close to VMRO-DPMNE were anonymous and frequently one and the same text was republished by different news portals and newspapers.
- On the other hand, critically-oriented media usually covered reactions and disclaimers issued by the parties being attacked, and published regular information on the course of inspections and investigations at CSOs, initiated and orchestrated by the former government.